I create digital art or photography, building on my long history as an artist, and my love of science and nature. I like to surprise, tell a story or set a mood in my work. I may see something and its beauty or unusual nature grabs me and I want to record it and the feeling it gives me. Sometimes it is dreams that inspire me, or memories; more often it is something I see in nature. My subjects are usually of nature found near to my home in New York City.
To construct my images I use my artistic talent and skills with digital brushes to paint on my photos, in combination with other image manipulation techniques, to add depth and focus. I purposefully lead the eye into an image toward the focal point. To do this I may use blurs, outlines and changes in color. As part of the process to create my idea I may take different photographs for layers and compile them in the darkroom (Photoshop). When I use muted tones with touches of color I think of my mother hand tinting black and white photographs in Perth, Western Australia back in the early 1940’s.
My evolution as an artist, from child to adult, went from drawing, to painting, culminating in photography. My early art training was at the Art Students League in NYC and art school in London. My mentor was Bill Skilling, a graduate of the Edinburgh College of Art, who taught me all he knew on every technique and style of painting. I learned composition, color theory, and more as we worked together, creating fine art and commercial art in NYC in the 1970’s. Most of my work was on canvas then and sold to clients and galleries in NYC. I transitioned from painting to creating computer generated art in 1998.
I make art because I must—it is a part of me. I don’t think in words—I think in images.
“Sherry Felix is an exceptionally creative artist and graphic designer with a background in fine and commercial art, web design, cartography and photography.”
Bill Skilling and Sherry Felix, 1974
Short list of accomplishments and interests:
- Photography and digital image artistry.
- Graphic artist, cartographer (GIS), web design and creation.
- Artist, painting in acrylic on canvas.
- Tutor and Computer Tech: How to use graphic applications, computer use and fixing issues.
- Participation in and teaching: Bird watching, orienteering, geology, natural science, environmental preservation and restoration.
- Memberships: The Linnaean Society of New York (I am the webmaster), and Sierry Photo NYC.
- Artist’s Statement (PDF)
- Artist’s Biography [Exhibits and Write-ups]
- Artist’s Biography [Exhibits and Write-ups] (PDF)
Contact me for more information at email@example.com